INTRODUCTION: Egyptian product design competition
A call for young product designers in Egypt to unleash their creativity and to create furniture, lighting and home accessories. The main competition’s aim is to encourage Egyptian designers to extend their knowledge beyond the stereotypes and obtain experience in the design process.
Designers should work from the very beginning to establish Concept, Mood-boards, Function, Form, colors, materials, and finishes that meet the Egyptian needs in a cosmopolitan and minimal way and work with the surrounding environment in a sustainable way. The Design should suit the “Egyptian style”, without using ethnic decorations in the final form of the design to encourage designers to become involved in a profession that is crucial to insuring a sustainable future for design industry in Egypt on the same international pace. (All materials and finishes are accepted).
Mobilia will support the designer to reach the prototype phase and will sponsor the manufacturing of the 3
winning designs 3rd,4th and 5th runner ups will be contacted by manufacturers to support the curation of their design All Egyptian above the age of 18 are eligible to participate Winner pieces will be displayed on Mobilia website
The designer will receive percentage of the revenue
Mobilia will support the designer to reach the prototype phase and will sponsor the manufacturing of the 6 winning designs. All young Egyptian young designers above age of 18 are eligible to join.
Registration fees: 1000 EGP/design submission
NB: -Applicant can submit more than one design
-Student discount of 40% will be applied for valid student ID holders, use promo code student40 and must send valid student ID with the pdf submission file through email@example.com
Payment method: via website or address: 40 Geziret elArab st., floor 9, apartment 19
- Registration & submission: 01/01/2021
- Deadline: 24/01/2021 [Extended]
- Shortlist announcement: 26/01/2021
- Final winners announcement: 30/01/2021
- Manufactured piece revealing event: 27/02/2021
Furniture Designer are requested to apply their designs with following
- 1. Object Typology: Furniture -e.g desk, seating.
- 2. Use: what is the product for – e.g movable and lockable storage unit for A4 filing
- 3. Target audience – e.g co working space or home office user
- 4. Key features – e.g cable management, integrated storage.
- 5. Product offering – e.g sold as part of a range or by itself, in batches of 2, as a set, etc.
- 6. Material and process – e.g birch plywood / CNC manufacture
- 7. Product Price point – this can be estimated by number of sheets involved and complexity of cut and assembly in combination with the analysis of competitor products.
Design package must include combined PDF renamed with
the received code
- 2D sketch with final dimensions
- 3D modeling with high resolution rendering
- Presentation of the concept
- 4Presentation of the materials chosen
- All submissions are to be submitted electronically via email:
firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: First
and second name of applicant + code
- Include receipt attachment in the email
WINNERS & PARTICIPANTS
- First Place: 5K EGP + 1st place trophy
- Second Place : 3K EGP + 2nd place trophy
- Third Place : 2K EGP + 3rd place trophy
- Full furniture design diploma for the winners with total of 45k EGP awards for the 3 winners
- The winner product will be manufactured from our side and partners and to be sold on mobila website
- with (x %) of sales for the designers
- The 4th, 5th, 6th places will have the opportunity to be connected with our production partners
- IP rights for the designs stay with the designers
- The agreement will be discussed with the designer to preserve (his/he) rights,
- privacy and market percentage
- All participants will receive the following as benefits from our partners:
- Project completion certificates from Autodesk
- Discount voucher on any course at CAD MASTERS with 800 EGP value (valid for 6 months)
- Discount voucher on any online course at Khatwahonilne with 400 EGP value (valid for 6 months)
FINAL PHASE & JURY
- An e-mail will be sent to the chosen final 8 to have an online discussion with the jury members before announcing the final 3 winners and to discuss any modifications
- Shortlisted discussion in English
- The final winners will be introduced to the sponsors to begin the process of manufacturing the prototype
- The final 3 prototypes will be revealed in a mega event which will also be the
revealing event of the product designers pieces
- The products will be displayed exclusively at mobilia website
Karim Rashid - Head of Jury Members
Karim Rashid is an Egyptian-born and Canadian-raised industrial designer. His designs include luxury goods, furniture, lighting, surface design, brand identity and packaging. Time magazine has described him as the “most famous industrial designer in all the Americas” and the “Prince of Plastic”.
Amr Orensa is the design manager at Pinocchio, one of the foremost furniture
manufacturers in Egypt. The scope of his work covers designing Pinocchio’s
annual furniture collections as well as setting the design strategy for Pinocchio.
Accomplished architect and designer, Cherif has excelled in most of his projects be it architectural, interior, graphic, event or product design for he will always find the best design solution to provide his clients with the simplest most interesting solution given the context.
Hisham Elessawy, M.Sc., with over Eighteen years of experience in interior architecture and furniture. Certified from EU as a professional interior architect and Product Design Instructor, has also worked as consultant for the Egyptian ministry of Industry,UNIDO ,German Chamber and various Furniture and Design entities.
Nicolai de Gier
Nicolai de Gier is a danish architect and associate professor at The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, Schools of Architecture, Design and Conservation. Head of Furniture masters programme, trained as a Cabinetmaker and architect and teaches and researches within the field of furniture design focusing on especially tectonics and chair types.